Monday, June 18, 2007

I love Mitrou!

Basic day: we wake up at 5:15, walk to breakfast by 6:00, and we're all digging asap after that. We dig, and dust, and sweep, find ridiculous amounts of pottery, and in general, boil in the sun. But today I found an iron blade! It was my first bit of excavation and I recognized iron, which is not easy to do at all. And we rarely ever find iron. It's awesome.

So basically, I get myself ridiculously dirty digging and after work is done I leap off of a cliff into the Aegean sea. It's the best way to cool off and any worries that were in my head are gone after the first jump. And the water is the pefect tempurature. Just cold enough to erase 8 hours of digging in the hot hot hot sun, but not so cold that you can't swim in it after you cool down. And tomorrow we start putting up sun shades! I love it. I so happy.

The people are cool, the food is great, the scenery is beautiful, and the work is interesting. I can't believe I get to be here and dig things and be involved with a site. It's such an amazing opportunity and I'm learning so much and experiencing entirely new things. I'm lovin' it!

Updating is difficult because internet access is sporadic and taken up by responding to emails people send. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: