Sunday, June 10, 2007

Last Full Day in Athens (until July)

Today actually ended up being pretty cool, after a bad start. I hit all of the sites/museums I wanted to except for the epigraphy museum, and really, I can catch it one of the other times I'll be here this summer. Not a huge deal.

I saw the Museum of the City of Athens (superawesome), the National Historical Museum (waste of time), the Greek Folk Art Museum (so-so), and the National Art Gallery (very peaceful, very happy, very out of the way). After that I went to the Agora and Hadrian's Library, which are both amazing. I spent a lot of time in the Agora taking pictures and wandering around and thinking about nothing in particular. And then I accidentally stepped on a fragment of what I think was a terra cotta drain... it was just sitting there... gotta love it.

I really love it here. I walked around Plaka and Monastiraki for a few hours after dinner and soaked up the city and I just... don't want to leave. I'm sure MAP will be amazing, but I still don't want to give up Athens. I just have to keep telling myself that I'll be back. And that there will still be souvlaki in Tragana. Getting on that bus tomorrow is going to suck, though. But I am looking forward to meeting everyone! People my age that are as excited as I am about Greek Archaeology? Crazy.

No comments: